The sun is setting a little earlier each day, and pumpkin spice is finding its way back onto the menu.
Early fall is a great time to prepare for the colder months ahead. And that includes your skin care and makeup plan!
The triple threat of frigid temperatures, harsh winds and low humidity can lead to dull, dry, flaky skin. On top of that, indoor heating adds another source of wintertime irritation.
The good news is that you can maintain a beautiful complexion with just a few simple changes to your routine. Here are some easy ways to keep that healthy glow all season long!
Preventing Dry Skin in Winter
Hydration and protection are your keys to fighting off dull, flaky skin and achieving a soft, radiant appearance. We offer patients a range of professional skin care lines crafted by medical professionals to boost your skin health.
- Cleanse and exfoliate: Choose gentle cleansers and avoid products that strip away your skin’s natural oils, which can aggravate wintertime dryness. Exfoliate two to three times per week to reveal a more youthful appearance.
- Moisturize: Choose a creamy moisturizer to get a soft, dewy complexion, and don’t forget to include your neck as well as your face! Moisturizer should be applied in the morning and evening. It should be applied on top of any serums and prior to your sunscreen.
- Don’t put away that sunscreen! Your swimsuit may be safely tucked away, but the sun is still out in full force. No matter how low the mercury goes, you’re still getting UV rays when you step outside. Apply a full-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater on all exposed areas, such as your face, neck and hands. Wear protective sunglasses, hats and clothing.
Update Your Winter Makeup Palette
Fight the wintertime blues by letting your makeup pull double duty. Look for cosmetics that provide the hydrating nourishment your skin needs along with exciting shades that make you look fabulous. We offer complimentary makeup consultations to match you with your specific skin needs.
- Moisturizing primer: Choose a radiant primer that gives your skin a subtle glow while keeping your makeup in place all day long.
- Foundation: Liquid and cream foundations glide on smoothly and keep skin hydrated. Use caution with matte formulations, which can leave an uneven finish and emphasize flakes and dryness. Set your foundation with light powder in the T-zone, but avoid too much as this can increase dullness.
- Concealer: Use a liquid concealer that gives you long-lasting coverage and moisturizing ingredients to prevent cracking and creasing.
- Eyes: With face coverings still necessary to reduce the spread of COVID-19, eye makeup has taken on greater importance. Pair complementary shades of purple eyeshadow to add dimension this season. Go with disco-inspired silvery tones for extra sparkle, or a two-toned eyeliner pattern for a touch of drama.
- Lips: Cold winter air can leave your lips dry and cracked. Exfoliate and protect with lip balm to keep them healthy throughout the season. Liven up your look with bold shades such as burgundy, mauve or fuchsia in a matte or gloss finish. Apply a setting spray to keep your lip color from transferring onto your face mask.
- Cheeks: A silky blush in a powder-cream texture gives you a softer look without drying out your skin. Choose a well-blended creamy highlighter for added dimension.
Do you have questions about winter skin care, makeup or other concerns? Contact us at Cayce Dermatology to book an appointment with us. Our experienced team looks forward to providing you with a customized skin care plan to help you look and feel great!