At Cayce Dermatology, we believe everyone, at every age, deserves to enjoy beautiful, healthy skin.
We’re excited to join the American Academy of Dermatology in recognizing National Healthy Skin Month every November. This is a great time to brush up on the importance of skin health and promote helpful tips for looking and feeling your best.
It’s no secret that our skin faces all kinds of challenges year–round – from the hot summer sun to the brutal chill of winter. That’s what makes regular skin care such a vital part of a healthy lifestyle.
Let’s go over some great ways to pamper your skin at home, and why regular visits to Cayce Dermatology are essential for your overall wellbeing.
Skin Care Is Health Care
The most common sources of skin damage are environmental. Depending on where you live and how much time you spend outside, these factors may increase your risk of skin cancer and other conditions. They can also cause premature aging and dull your complexion:
- Ultraviolet rays from the sun
- Air pollution
- Extreme hot and cold weather
Your lifestyle also plays a big role in skin’s health. For example, tanning beds and sun lamps do as much damage as the sun. Scrubbing too hard, or using the wrong products for your skin type, may lead to more breakouts, itching and inflammation.
Without proper care, your skin will start to show signs of damage from all that wear and tear:
- Loss of elasticity
- Uneven texture
The good news is you can keep your skin healthy with a personalized treatment plan, both at home and at Cayce Dermatology. Here are some of the benefits of making skin care part of your lifestyle:
- Protect yourself from the harmful effects of UV rays, pollution and infection.
- Reduce your risk of skin cancer and other long-term problems down the road.
- Maintain a beautiful, radiant complexion at any age.
- Promote faster healing with less scarring from minor cuts and breakouts.
Treat Yourself to At-Home Skin Care
Regular skin care doesn’t just help you look your best. It also gives you confidence and reduces stress. Here are some easy self-care tips to give your skin some TLC:
- Wash daily: Never go to bed without washing your face, no matter how tired you feel. Daily cleansing is essential for getting rid of the dirt, oil and makeup that can clog your pores and lead to breakouts and infection. Plus, your face needs clean skin to repair and renew itself overnight. Choose a cleanser that matches your skin type, and gently massage as you wash.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily: One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to stop using sunscreen in the winter or on rainy days. Ultraviolet rays penetrate through cloud cover, and your face can get sun damaged even when there’s snow on the ground!
- Exfoliate regularly: Over time, dead skin cells build up and give you a dull, tired complexion. Exfoliate gently to uncover fresh, youthful skin cells without irritation.
- Reduce premature aging: Look for products that reduce the appearance of fine lines and promote collagen production. One great example is a quality retinoid. For the most benefit, choose medical grade products.
In addition to at-home skin care, a healthy lifestyle keeps you looking your best:
- Drink plenty of fluid: Applying moisturizer is important, but so is staying hydrated on the inside. Drink water throughout the day, but avoid too much alcohol and caffeine, which can cause dehydration.
- Get enough sleep: Your skin looks tired when you’re tired. Staying well-rested gives you a brighter, more youthful appearance.
- Eat a healthy diet: Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats all promote healthy skin.
The Role of Professional Skin Care
Just like routine dental checkups are essential for healthy teeth, visiting your dermatologist on a regular basis helps to keep your skin in great shape.
Cayce Dermatology provides comprehensive skin care for all ages. Led by board-certified dermatologist Dr. Kimberly Cayce, we provide routine consultations to diagnose and treat a range of conditions including skin cancer. Based on the results of your skin check, our care team will recommend the best course of treatment for your particular needs:
- Acne and acne scars
- Cancerous and precancerous lesions
- Mole removal
- Rosacea and skin rashes
- Hair thinning
Another reason to visit Cayce Dermatology is that many advanced treatments should only be performed in a professional setting. The American Academy of Dermatology notes a troubling rise of individuals attempting procedures at home and then posting images on social media. Skin treatments that should only be done by a board-certified professional include:
- Laser treatments
- Micro needling
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Cayce recommends an annual consultation and skin cancer screening for optimal skin health.
During your visit, our esthetician will closely examine your skin for any suspicious areas in need of further attention. We will check for various forms of damage including uneven patches, discoloration, sun spots, enlarged pores and premature wrinkles.
Based on your results, we will recommend a personalized skin care plan that includes in-office treatments and at-home care. A typical consultation takes about 40 minutes to complete.
To schedule your appointment, give us a call at 573-234-1000 or contact us online.