With an estimated 9,500 people diagnosed daily, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Fortunately, it’s also one of the most preventable. May is National Melanoma Skin Cancer Prevention Month, and DeSpain Cayce Dermatology and Medical Spa want to remind our patients how important it is not only to schedule your annual skin check with your health care provider, but to also practice safe sun protection and form good habits in your day-to-day life.
Facts You May Not Know:
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
- Over the past three decades, more people have been diagnosed with skin cancer than all other cancers combined.
- A mole can become malignant (cancerous) years after a bad sunburn occurs.
- Skin damage that occurs from sunlight can build with continued exposure, regardless of whether or not a sunburn occurs at all.
- It’s estimated that 87,110 new cases of invasive melanoma will be diagnosed in the U.S. in 2017.
- Regular daily use of an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen reduces the risk of developing melanoma by 50%.
- More than 419,000 cases of skin cancer in the U.S. each year are linked to indoor tanning.
- More people develop skin cancer because of tanning than develop lung cancer because of smoking!
- An estimated 90% of skin aging is caused by the sun.
- One person dies of melanoma every 54 minutes.
Things You Can Do To Protect Yourself:
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds: Indoor tanners are 74% more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors.
- Cover Up: Wearing protective clothing, including wide-brimmed hats and UV blocking sunglasses, can be an effective defense against the sun.
- SPF: Use a broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher every day, even on the cloudy, overcast ones.
- Examine your skin for growths that are new or unusual, or changes in size, shape, or color of an already existing spot.
Early detection of skin cancer is key. Make your skin’s health a priority and educate your loved ones on the importance of sun protection!Leave a reply →